View Single Post
      03-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #233
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Okay here is your next ten plus. Remember if you want to leave a question please do not debate in this thread just so I can answer your question promptly. I am busy at the moment so I will try to answer as soon as possible. Unfortunately my deadlines are more of a priority.

@Adrean8J
Quote:
Is it right to suspect that the 1er hatch doing winter testing is the beginnings of looking into the hatch mentioned above? Or maybe a turbo-diesel variant?
The next generation of Turbo 4 cylinder engines that will see it's debut with the next 1er Sporthatch are more powerful and as equal as some of the current six cylinders available today. The focus on using four cylinders is again because of efficiency , but do not let the appearance fool you, these are very powerful engines for a four cylinder , the use of four cylinders also brings into play a new way to decrease weight on some models.
Although they are four cylinders they will also offer the split exhaust like our other turbo models just to keep continuity.

Quote:
Any idea about any special M-only colors?
Colour choices for an M are reflective on the market and what works with the car , some color choices for example never got carried over from the E46 to the E92 because the decision makers did not think they suited the car.
Although I can see some existing M colours , with possibly a mix of standard 1er colors and maybe an additional new colour or two.
Matte finish is a definite cost option.

@Jmunro
Quote:
I'm sure everyone here is interested in the following... Will the M1 engine be tuner "friendly" at all or will BMW continue to implement and refine tuner detection?
Let us be absolutely clear about this but BMW have no love for the tuning industry primarily because they are usually left with the problem after things go wrong. That is why BMW Performance was brought in to play and why BMW play the void your warranty card. What you have seen so far with BMW performance is nothing compared to what will be coming in the future.
There is one Tuner BMW have a special relationship with and that is Alpina.

Quote:
I'm sure BMW is aware that they are seeing a huge amount of business because of the N54's "potential."
The N54 has potential but BMW Performance offer an upgrade in Performance without having to void your warranty.

@Alphagamma
Quote:
Will the M1 be used in actual motorsports racing like the E30 M3 was?
When we look at the 1er and it's history of being the 2dr sedan like the 2002 and the E30 , you do get nostalgic on such issues , watch this space.

@Footie
Quote:
I'm guessing that the 10K premium (added your own currency to the front of this figure) will mean that there isn't really room to position a 135iS between this 1M and the stock 135i, so that also leads me to believe that the power output isn't dramatically more than what the 35iS engine currently produces, say officially 355-365PS top whack.

Is that figure close?
Yes you are in the zone...

@South
related to M1
Quote:
) What turbo configuration will the engine of the 1M have? Twin scroll? Twin turbo? Twin scroll and twin turbo (like the S63)? Tri-turbo?
Whereas I cannot give full specification away , you know what the answer is?
Quote:
2) What will that engine be called, S55?
That sounds convenient.

Quote:
related to the M5
3) What's the final word on KERS for the M5? Will it use a boost system or even a mild hybrid setup like the Active Hybrid 7?
Dr Thiessen previously gave an interview when we talked about applying the F1 KERS into a road car programme and yes it will use a boost system to unleash stored energy.4)

Quote:
Any hope for a manual transmission for the M5 (both in Europe and the US)?
All I have heard is an upgraded version of M-DCT. The US inclusion of a manual was a disaster some in M and BMW would like to forget.

Quote:
5) When will the M5 debut? If history repeats itself, the M5 Concept should be on display in Geneva 2011 with the production version being shown in Frankfurt 2011. Is that correct?
In cases of the M5 History repeats itself. The production debut is pencilled in for next years IAA so you will be able to see the M5 in action as BMW will be bringing back the indoor track for 2011.

@JasonCSU
Quote:
A wealth of information in this thread, thanks Scott. You mention that there will be 6 definite production models on the new 1er matrix. Obviously, four of those would be a 3-door hatch, a 5-door hatch, a coupe, and a convertible. Are the other two models possibly a 2-seater coupe/roadster Z2 variant?
Yes , The possibilities for the compact segment especially in growth has brought these projects to the foreground. Along with the M1 BMW see these two as equal to BMW's performance bikes in terms of power and status That they are strictly for performance and enjoyment.

@As7920
Quote:
Do you know why there will be no M 3/5 door hatch?
Is that a global decision or US market only?
In terms of how hatchback models are perceived in The US? is one decision , the other being that for BMW at least the marketability is with the Coupe , it is still an open discussion.
Quote:
Do you have an idea of when the next generation M3 will be available in Europe (2013?)?
Sometime in 2013 seems accurate.

@Footie
Quote:
Scott, can you tell me whether or not the construction materials of this new engine is different than the N55 and whether it's turbo configuration differs also?
I believe it's magnesium block. I dont know for sure @ BMW they test every material so I cannot answer if the definite choice is made.
Quote:
Another question relates to the diff, will the 1M ulitise a different form of M-diff to that of the M3, following a similar setup to that of Ferrari's e-diff?
The M-diff is a reworked version from the M3 I believe.

@ChrisK
Quote:
Scott, will the M1 have either/or LED Angels or LED taillights?

I do not know for definite but cars I have seen (protoypes and design concepts) utilise the same specification as the 135i with optional xenon lighting.

@ChrisK
Quote:
Will the M1 will have an integrated duck bill spoiler for sure? ..or is this still up in the air?
For visual identity and of course aerodynamics the rear spoiler will be reprofiled in typical BMW M fashion.

@Primo135
Quote:
Can you shed any light on interior changes? Particularly want to know about seats and dash/instrument cluster.
There will be a notifiable visual identity to distinguish the car's interior from other 1er Coupe models. Not everything is final.

@amdmaxx
Quote:
Scott - X3 in your avatar now?
Well it was , The film and photography has been underway.
"JOY IS... Why we push the boundaries to perform"
Appreciate 0