08-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #29
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Thank you!
I have had hitches on all my BMWs. I use it to tow my track trailer. Since I have sold my M3 and my Z3 3.0 got wreaked I have really missed using my trailer.

My Son fabricated one for my e46 M3 but that was a lot of work for him. I called all over the country and could find no one to make one for me.
As I used to say to those folk who asked me why I would put a hitch on an M3. "it's my car and I can do anything I want to it". I am so [pleased with you folk who refuse to make these wonderful card something other than a garage queen.

holly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducturd View Post
Less than 24 hours after taking delivery of my
AW 1M, I can confirm the Curt 11184 135i hitch can be mounted to the 1M.

A couple notes:
- The rear exhaust had to be dropped off the two rear hangers in order to move the hitch into position.

- Clearance to the muffler is tight, ~1/8". I used a couple washers on the bottom mount bolts to increase that to about 1/4-3/8". A test drive before reattaching the rear bumper cover revealed no contact between the muffler and hitch with this spacing. I used one washer on each of the top mounting bolts as there's not enough thread for two.

- The driver's side inner exhaust tip has about 1/4" vertical clearance to the crossbar. It's tight and I've only heard it bang once when I went over a jarring bump at speed. I plan to put some sort of padding in there to dampen the contact.

Cheers,
Owen
Attached Images

Appreciate 0