View Single Post
      10-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #30
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

If you look at feedback seriously enough times, you come to realize that the score is dependant on the individual giving it as much as it is the service provided. We have one customer, no longer mine, that has stated on several occasions that he will never provide all 5s and he will not let his people do it. He views everything as a bargaining opportunity and if he gave us a perfect score he is worried we would raise his price. This is an extreme example. We have others who tend to give out perfect scores on a smaller survey we send after each engineering service as long as there was nothing really bad about what we did. I tend to think you need to get to the "delight" area for a perfect score and there is not always an opportunity for that.

Service industries should try to "delight" their customers. Not just do everything you were supposed to as you were supposed to but also pay attention to what is going on. Washing your car was probably originally a "delight" type thing but it has now become expected. Returning it at least cleaner inside and out than it was when I gave it to you is nice. Leaving greasy hand prints or debris inside is not so nice. I will happily settle for a dealer who does the work within the time frame they told me the first time I come in for the price they quoted and doesn't return my car dirtier than I brought it in. If you do not do that, and in my experience it is a little rare, then how can you honestly expect a perfect score? Because you begged for it? And if I give it to you, how many more times will you be late or make me come back?

If you want to earn my respect, try being up on the recalls for my vehicle when I call for an appointment so you can warn me there might be more work to do. Don't wait until I get there and you insert my key into your little thingy and your computer tells you. Fill my windshield washer container without me having to ask. Vacumn off my interior air filter - or give me a new one since it's supposed to be included. Do something to make it appear you care a little.

Begging for high scores and in the process ignoring the opportunities you had to make your customers truly happy may make car companies feel good but it is not going to make them grow like they want to. For that, they are going to have to be willing to accept that almost doing the minimum expected is not good enough.

Jim