View Single Post
      08-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
triom
Rep
Drives: White 128i

Excessive engine or radiator fan noise?

Hi all,

I have had my 2008 128i for about 8 months, been pretty happy with it except minor problemsmans normal maintenance which has made me bring the car to the dealership once in a bit (under warranty mostly). 2 months ago, when it was average early 20 degrees celcius temperatures, I found one of my fans going at full blast after doing a run at a local mountain where it is mostly highways (the fan was so loud that it felt like a bus staying by the side of my car). It became more evident when I got back to stop-go city congestion. The fan continued to go loud and I guess full blast thereafter even when I drove to work (approximately 15 minutes and 12km in the city) in similar temperatures. I took it into the dealership and they found that my thermostat was malfunctioning and that they replaced it - note that no lights lighted up on dash. The sound seemed to have subsided though when I car idles it seems the low end humming / vibrations seem more than before.

Fast forward to current temperatures 26 to 31 degrees celcius with me having a/c on inside the car most of the time, it seems the fan action, which is not as loud as before and can only be heard occasionally from inside the car is coming back. I remember one of the foremen telling me that the fans may work harder during hotter temperatures. My question is, is this normal around these temperatures. Is there anyway to know what would be constituted as normal fan behavior?

Thanks in advance for your help. I know the best action is to take it back to the dealership, but it's more busy these days and it is a pain to have to bring it in if it is normal behavior.

T.
Appreciate 0