11-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek8819 View Post
It is amazing how different some of these forums can be. 1addicts is completely against filters like this, but others I am on show gains of 6-8hp almost every time. I am gonna say this, drop ins flow more air, plain and simple. Do they flow more dust too, well I think it depends on the brand/quality. I actually wondered if they were filtering ok on my Lightning and I went ahead and sent off oil samples to blackstone, the results showed more than adequate filtration. I will use a quality drop-in in every car I buy, they flow better and last longer. If you are worried, send off your oil sample.

www.blackstone-labs.com
Thanks for your post. I tend to think similarly, but with some caution due to lack of personal experience on this. I need to find some of the research I have been reading in different forums and other media, there was especially an interesting independent research's results that put the aFe dry filter among the best, if not the best in terms of filtration with avarage 99.2 % filtering level if I remember the data correctly. I need to find that again, there was plenty of detailed info, charts etc. which showed that some filters like this aFe simply flow much better, as you said, but also manage to filter very close to the stock filter due to better design and materials. K&N was not among the good filtering options according to that research. The possible reason why factories do not go with best available product is because their absolute priority is safety and longevity, thinking their maintenance plans, warranties and production/repair costs. Since I am not someone who leaves everything to factory choices and recommendations (if I did, I should forget about an air filter for what 50,000 Km., and oil change every 10K km. while I could just drive without checking my tires untill TPS tells me that I am almost on my wheels!) etc. so, I am trying to decide myself if this is a minor and takeable risk with some worthy gains, or not.

Just by looking the design of the stock vs. aFe, first one seem to have one single thing in mind; to keep everything out! The aFe on the other hand looks like at least trying to filter what is necessary while letting as much air as possible go through. I think it deserves a try.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0