View Single Post
      05-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #68
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

My quick 2 cents from my ED trip..I put over 1000 miles on my 2011 DCT in less than 5 days! Lots of driving through Munich, Italian Alps, Swiss Mountains, Tunnels, Snow, Rain, etc. The exhaust is my highlight..I love the sound! The throaty gurgling race sound is so much more M-esque IMHO than the N54 iterations (Angry3 is right though, it's not significantly louder. More bark on startup and throatier overall but on WOT it's possibly on par if not a tad louder than the N54...which sounds more metallic raspy (I like that too, by the way) Also, my initial impressions compared to my 335 coupe is that it doesn't feel as flat and neutral (more understeer at the limit) but feels more frisky and fun on the twisties. It's more rewarding if you're willing to put in the effort. The suspension is a tad bouncy in front and takes some correction at high speeds as you go over small bumps. I got my suspension along with some other tricks here for the car once it arrives...we'll see how that pans out.

This iteration of the DCT took some getting used to (it has more options and more flexibility than the DSG on my A3) and when you dump it into "M/S" Mode WITH the "Sport" Button it really comes alive and the throttle gets touchy and immediate (same shift gurgling and burping through the lower gears as my Audi as well). You can mix and match the "Sport" button with "D" or "M/S" so it's interesting to play with the combinations for everyday use. I haven't tried launch control as the manual says to wait until 1200 miles...Otherwise, the car is small and a bit cramped but feels more cacooned and sporty than my 3. Small cars always do that. Too bad the seating position is too high as I feel it will feel even sportier if you can get it lower. But I'm loving it so far. Now the 1 month wait to get it to the shore begins...

This is not my car but will give you an idea of the exhaust startup sound...