View Single Post
      05-01-2014, 05:38 AM   #18
2tonik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Sport 6MT Ti Silver

Just saw this post. My previous enthusiast car before the 128i was an RX-8. It was a fabulous car. Fantastically revvy and smooth engine, more torque than you'd think, supremely balanced, fun handling - Miata-like but with a lot more power, and a surprising amount of usability and utility. Very well executed; there wasn't anything to do to car to make it better, unless one would want more power. If the car had delivered with the originally announced 250HP it would have been a greater sales success and garnered even more love, IMHO.

My only complaints would be a slight lack of steering feel due to its electric steering (though surprisingly good, just not as good as BMW or Porsche hydraulic steering of the same and earlier eras), and an issue I've never heard from other RX-8 owners or reviewers: the cabin gets too hot due to exhaust routing - I had to run the AC even when outside temps were in the low 60's if I wanted to drive with the windows up. Everything else I've owned would stay cool inside with windows up when outside temps were in the low 70's and 60's without using AC.

I had an '83 RX-7 GLS-SE many years ago and for the rotary lover the RX-8 was nirvana. Don't worry about the modest low end torque - keep that engine spinning - it loves to rev and feels "happy" and unstressed all the way up to redline. Running mountain twisties with its tossability and free revving engine was sublime; you could hang the tail out forever, keeping the engine turning from 5000-9000rpm the whole time, an angry hornets nest sound adding to the experience.

A great car. The RX-8, like the Miata, was never about raw performance numbers; it was about having fun, and Mazda does this as well as anyone, in my opinion. Mazda uses a trick on its sports cars that is neglected by other manufacturers, Toyobaru BRZ/FR-S excepted; don't put too much tire on the car! Less tire is more fun on the street - you can get the car sliding around at lower, safer speeds.

My RX-8 got hit in the left rear quarter by a drunk guy and sustained about $8k in damage (luckily no damage to me - I saw the parking lot T-Bone just before it happened and accelerated, getting hit at the left rear corner and not in the door.

I got the car fixed but never felt "safe" with all of that rebuilding. Along with my daughter being born and work needs I guilted out and bought a minivan to haul family and work equipment. It was a great decision in the end as I got the Odyssey paid off (these are actually great driving vehicles for what they are) and came back to BMW last year. I've never had a DD/family/work car and a "play" car before - it's really the best of both worlds.

I love my 128i - inline sixes are my favorite engines, their soundtrack is glorious and multi-dimensional - but I'm still trying to make it to handle like my RX-8. I'm getting there by going "square", M3 front arms, aggressive alignment, and likely a few more changes... it's far more fun than it was from the factory.
DISA Intake, AA Header, MILV's, Stage FP Tune, VAC Motorsports Quaife LSD, CDV Delete, M3 Upper and Lower Front Control Arms, Powerflex Yellow RSFB’s, "Square" Tire/Wheel Set Up: Michelin PS A/S 3 225/45 17"'s on 17"x7.5" Type 262's
Appreciate 0