02-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Update Brembo BBK

I've had the Brembo's for about 1000 miles now with two track days under my belt.

The good.

Initial bite is still better than stock, but it's more of a drama free stop rather than a throw you forward kind of stop that a true racing pad would have. Braking points on the track have shortened considerably and I'm able to carry more speed into corners (2-10 mph). Getting use to the new braking points is the hard part because your brain is telling you that you're gonna blow through the corner, but it ends up stopping. Once I learn them better I'm sure my confidence will go up. The brakes also exhibit zero fade even after repeated threshold braking stops from 120+ mph.

Noise with the included Ferodo's is none existent although brake dust seems the same as stock pads which is a lot.

Street driving is where these shine. The car just stops. Period. No drama, no dive, improved pedal feel. Great for street, but then again it should be for the price.

The Bad.

As much as it pains me to say this, I was expecting a more durable pad to be included. I originally thought they were Ferodo ds2500, but come to find out they are a Ferodo designed pad specifically for the Brembo mono bloc 6 pot caliper and it's properties are the same as the DS1100. This is fine for the rears, but the front pads are 85% gone after two track days and I can feel a strong vibration when braking now. Talk about a big bummer. For 6K I shouldn't be feeding it pads this soon. Good news Ferodo does have an application for these brakes in the DS2500 so I have those on the way, but damn that sucks.

The second bad thing is that with the dtc set to the "sport/track" setting the rear end brakes too much now during aggressive canyon carving. It is almost like their is an anchor there and power coming out of the turn is non linear unlike before with the stock setup which was barely noticeable to me. I could even track the car in that mode and I wouldn't lose any discernible time with the stock setup. You cannot do that with the rear bbk. Although the good news is the rear brakes, specifically the pads, still appear to be new.

Would I recommend these? Yes and no. If you are looking for a track application to shave those last few seconds off and you can get them at a substantial discount and you swap the pads to the DS2500/DS3000 or HTC70 or CL RC6 then yes. If you cannot say yes to all that, then I wouldn't recommend them. The price point is simply to high and the returns are just not great enough.

Next time at the track I'm going to be worrying that every time I step on the brakes it's gonna cost me $300 bucks for a set of pads. That in turn will make me slower, which seems to be defeating the purpose.
Appreciate 0