10-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
***UPDATED: What is causing my dash and radio/climate displays to flicker?

Hello. Getting some weird stuff lately.

This happened before only once about a month ago and it hasn't happened again until yesterday.

So I was driving along at 40-50 and all of a sudden I heard my radio audio cut out and my radio and climate control displays flickered. My brake lights like ABS and E-Brake flashed for a sec on the dash and I heard the 'gong' like something was wrong. Then it would go back to normal. No loss of power or anything else. This happened on and off. Shortly after I saw my MPH needle go from my current speed of 40 down to 0 and then back up to 40 again.

My shop checked the computer and the voltages and everything is fine in that respect. They had suggested that it could be the instrument clusters themselves that might be causing this.

Any ideas here? Anyone have a similar issue? My car has 38000 miles on it right now.

******UPDATE: So I was driving along today. I had my heat set to about 71 degrees, my lights on, and music playing. I went to put my brights on and before I could even let the stalk go back to center position I got the same electrical issues; MPH goes to 0, yellow brake lights flash on dash, the gong noise, then right back to normal and was fine for the rest of the 10 mile trip.

Anymore ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by chris82; 10-29-2014 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0