View Single Post
      03-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #77
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Review - Business Day Motoring (South Africa)

Reinventing the past

THERE are a huge number of retro vehicles on the market these days, with more to come. Fiat will soon add its cute 500 to the mix, and Volkswagen is looking at trying again with what it will have to call its “New New Beetle”. But these are basically attempts to recreate a popular iconic vehicle, as opposed to taking the best elements from the forebears and creating something totally new.

In this regard, BMW has certainly done a superb job with its new 1-Series Coupé that was launched in SA last week. It is described as being the “spiritual successor” to the wonderful and, at the time, technologically advanced 2002 model that is still highly sought after today. The standard 1-Series in hatchback form is not quite the true family car, with those climbing into the back seats banging their head on the edge of the aperture and legroom seriously compromised by the wide transmission tunnel. In 130i form it shows its true colours as a real pocket rocket, but the evolution of the range continues to show what the designers really aspired to with this new coupé.

Three models are available: the 120d diesel and two petrol variants in the 125i and 135i. Yes, you did read that correctly: BMW has managed to shoehorn that amazing 3.0l twin-turbo straight-six engine into this little coupé. That means you get 225kW and 400Nm in a package that would almost be dwarfed by a Golf GTi. Certainly the Golf would be no match in the performance stakes, with the 135i taking you to the magic 100km/h mark in just 5,2 seconds.

Unusually for BMW, the launch was held in Gauteng — in Soweto. Contrary to the company’s claims, it was not the first time a motor manufacturer has held a launch in this city within a city, but it was the first time that motoring media representatives have actually stayed there overnight. It was a wonderful experience with some local fare and a trip to Madiba’s house, as well as a tour guide who took us through the history of what is fast becoming one of the biggest and most cosmopolitan cities in the country.

We had the chance to sample the 120d and the 135i on Gauteng roads and at the Zwartkops racetrack near Pretoria. Our initial drive in the 120d was definitely impressive. The turbo kicks in with a punch, which is something I still think is important in a pocket rocket, and all the while one is aware that you have a blend of performance and economy with our vehicle sitting at an average consumption level of 8,2l/100km, while still being able to put in a respectable 0-100km time of 7,6 seconds. The suspension is a little on the firm side as you would expect from a more sporty vehicle, and would actually benefit from having a sports setting that adjusts the suspension for when you have to traverse some of our more rapidly deteriorating roads.

When it was time to jump into the 135i, few journos were prepared for the level of enthusiasm they found beneath their right foot. This is no slouch and the great thing is that with two low-pressure turbos set at just 0,4 bar, there is no turbo lag that you would notice. It delivers effortless levels of power and you would be well advised to have a debit order set up with your local traffic department. It is not even a case of it being simply quick in lower gears. Even in sixth gear it has plenty of torque available to cruise comfortably past the unsuspecting hot-hatch driver ahead of you.
Our track time also gave us a chance to sample both cars and while I have to admit the 135i was simply biblical in its level of power and handling at Zwartkops, the 120d was a real surprise. Granted you have to take every corner in a higher gear than in its petrol sibling, but the levels of grip combined with the dial-in of the turbo made it stand out for being a truly economical performance package. What is even more impressive, particularly for BMW, is the pricing, with the 120d setting you back R286000. The 135i is still a performance bargain too, at a price tag of R367500. Yes, you will have to fork out a small fortune for all the extras, but even in standard trim the car is reasonably well equipped. Regardless of the model you opt for, you can add the aggressive “M” kit that includes all the usual spoilers and side sills, along with interior trim enhancements, as well as a more sporty suspension.
Inside, the layout is typical Beemer with lots of black plastics, but the designers have taken to including more aluminium inserts to break up the monotony, and given the car’s performance credentials, it all works well.

The rear seats will take two adults, preferably young ones, but legroom is always going to be at a premium and the new coupé is never going to be regarded as a family car. It is for those who value performance and style, but the car also makes a strong argument as an entry-level GT car for touring the country in comfort, and with the ability to enjoy its excellent dynamics on some of our classic driving routes.

So has the new 1-Series Coupé really managed to emulate the original 2002? Frankly, yes. It has all the qualities of its ancestor with a massive dose of modern styling, technology and performance.

In May we will see the convertible version and then, while it is not yet confirmed for production, we should see the ultimate performance 1-Series arrive, based on the “tii” concept that was shown at last year’s Frankfurt Motor Show.

There is definitely more to come but the coupé has shown that BMW designers do have a plan when we question their initial products. In the coupé they have come up with an awesome package that will make even exotic manufacturers question whether they are far enough ahead.
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0