View Single Post
      09-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Great explanation M button in 1M

Not sure how many 1M fans noticed that the recent bimmerpost interview with BMW M\'s head of engine development regarding the new F10 M5 engine includes a good explanation of what the M button in the 1M does (see excerpt below):

By selecting the Sport or Sport plus accelerator mode, we can really feel the additional boost to the response. How does that work?

In Sport or Sport plus mode, a suitable VALVETRONIC controller and the waste gates keep the turbocharger in the higher speed range. Normally, the waste gate used to regulate the charging pressure opens so that the exhaust gas flows out with the minimum possible loss. Pressure is built up again only when I hit the accelerator. For an improved response, I leave the waste gate closed until I need it for regulating. The exhaust gas then always passes over the turbine, which then runs at a considerably higher speed. When even more power is demanded, it is immediately available. However, I have a gradually rising counterpressure that causes a slight rise in consumption. This function can therefore be switched on and off. By the way, in the BMW 1 Series M Coupé the same function is activated at the M Button.
Appreciate 0