View Single Post
      06-12-2006, 08:53 PM   #47
lumbergh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Thanks for the insight, lumbergh. Just one question, are you Bill or Ron?

Ahhhhhh, yeahhhhhhhh

Anyways, yeah, I'm still shopping for a decent mutual fund and I've been using morningstar as a guide...definitely a great resource!

I've got an IRA with Franklin templeton and the expense ratio is about .7%...a little high, but I've checked out ING's mutual funds and some of theirs are like 1-1.3% and I'm like

Plus, I think they were in a lot of trouble a few years back over some kind of unethical practices, so I'll keep my savings account, but that's it.

Basically, right now I'm looking to invest the majority of my paycheck over the next 4-5 years. I want to save a decent amount and get a good return to go towards a downpayment on a house and I'd like a return (before it goes to the house) a little better than a high-yield savings or money market account, and I think mutual funds are the way to go.

That's not saying I won't keep investing when I've got mortgage payments, but definitely on a lesser scale then.
Of course I like Peter the best but Lumbergh sounded better.

Franklin Templeton has some good stuff and considering they are actively managed .7% is cheap. You got the right idea though, investing the majority of your paycheck. You've got to have money invested in order to have returns, just think of it as rolling a snow ball getting bigger and bigger.

When you buy a house also look into insurance if you have a family.
Appreciate 0