View Single Post
      12-23-2008, 08:05 AM   #13
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpChap View Post
Anyone know what the road clearance is on a 1-series? Four, maybe five inches? My point is that when snow accumulation gets six inches or so, the car will hang up on the snow and snow tires won't matter any more. Annual six inch snowfalls are pretty much guaranteed in the northeast.

The investment in a snow tire/rim package will only be useful in a pretty narrow range of winter weather -- light snow. That $1,200 will go a long way toward a beater Jeep, Explorer or Blazer to use in bad weather and keep the 1-series all comfy warm and salt-free in the garage.
This statement about the snow being over 6 inches and the car hanging up makes no sense. :iono: Its not like snow is hard enough to hold the car up and the tires won't touch the ground. Now if the snow turned to ice then thats different. But where are you taking your car that will have ice build that high? I had a honda accord for a winter beater that was only 4-5 inches clearance and did fine with winter tires. The snow will get pushed out of the way or compressed as the car travels over it.
Invenstment in winter tires is definitly a smart one.