08-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post

Depends on where you are. I live in the bay area and when I came home on Fri, it took me two hours to drive the 60 miles; I was ready to break something when I got home. We have more than our share of morons here and likely will as long as we keep letting people fail the driving test 5x in one day before patting them on the back and telling them to try again next week...

ianc
The road sover here are REALLY GOOD. Nothing like the paved "trails" we call roads back in the states. When you drive in Chech or Italy... there the roads start to look as bad as the highways in the states. But Germany is on a whole new level. The autobahns are a glass smooth - a race track for everyone... and the back roads (BundesStrasse) are not bad either!

I have to laugh about Ian's driving test comment.

Over here in Germany... a drivers lic cost about 1,500 euros. It will take most people 40 hours(I think) of in car driving and paper tests/exams. THEN... once they go for the "test" it is a paper AND driving (in car) test. Fail the test once you must wait 30 days. Fail the test TWICE.... and you must to to a phyc doctor to see why you are so dumb! Really!!! Why would anyone spend good money (the more time you need behind the learners permit car/driving school car) the more it will cost you! So... IF anyone fails the test the first time... they have to pay more and more... for more seat time and more study time. THIS is why you must go to a phyc doctor... bc no one in thier right mind would pay all that money and NOT study or pass thier drivers test!

On base... thru the Army... we also have an American-ized dumb'd down euro test. You need a valid US drivers lic to take it. The test use to be 100 written questions and 50 euro signs that you needed to match up with the answers. There is no road test! Just a paper test.

When I took my test(ten years ago), there were 50 people in that room. All had failed three four seven times!! There was only three of us - who were taking the test for the fist time. Only me and another person passed (two out of the three of us) You can fail the Army driver's test twice... then you have to wait a month... bc they only have TWO tests!!!!

Now... they made the test 50/50. Fifty written questions and fifty signs. The test really wasn't too hard. Just everything ANYONE should know when driving over here.

Last edited by Dackelone; 08-23-2010 at 04:58 AM..
Appreciate 0