08-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
I warped a set of rotors as did two other forum members I know. I had quite a few events in when it happened and I'm pretty sure the others did too. I'll make sure from now on that I cool down at higher speed to keep more airflow and I will likely also implement Neil's ductwork as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender_ View Post
It was warped rotors, dealer replaced them and I know of two other 1M who track and same issue.

One guy got the 'unlimited' replacement package from BMW and they replace them 3 times a year so far! LOL

I'll search for Neil's post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO 1M View Post
with the stock pads you warp the rotors pretty fast. The stock pads are not made for tracking. Put on some proper track pads and the brakes will work properly, and do warping of the discs.
Sorry, the OEM rotors are extremely resilient and do not warp due to their efficient floating design. Lots of M3s on m3post have done 30-40k miles and >10 track days with a set of discs with no warping. The vibration that you are feeling through the pedal and steering wheel during braking, is due to uneven brake pad deposition on the surface of the brake disc. This happens when the brake pad material overheats. The brake disc itself is not bending out of shape. If you swap your standard brake pads for a 'racier' compound like the OEM sport pads/Pagids RS/PFC etc., their abrasiveness at lower temperatures will eventually scrub off the uneven pad deposits left by the previous pad, and you'll have a smooth brake disc again. The term warp has been used incorrectly by lots of mechanics far too many times.

Last edited by mlhj83; 08-23-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0