Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
The car is riding bad and feels loose when you hear the noise, worse in cold weather and the problem comes and the noise comes and goes tell me it may have to do with the internal valving of the strut. Does turning up or down the valving adjustment make any difference(shim stack or a loose belleville washer/spring disc can cause a noise)? Try to run the strut at various settings and report back your findings.

How are the rest of the rubber bushings on the front-end of the vehicle?

I can't be 100% certain as I am diagnosing this over the internet with supplied information.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
+1 on internal shock noise.

Koni are known for a good ole rattle/clunk with compression and rebound turned down. Turn the knobs a bit, drive around and it will disappear.
Thank you both

I turned the rebound up another 5 clicks so that's a little over halfway. Seems to have improved things a lot. Still some noise, but it was very quiet on my commute home. I can live with it as long as it stays this way. Ride has also improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
I have been mulling this over in my head, it must be either the upper mounts or something inside the shocks.

On a related note, I believe I am starting to get noise from inside my own original front struts dammit. Replaced front strut upper bearings, noise still there.

Again, this is very hard to diag over the internet and not hands on.
I appreciate your help! You're probably listening to things too much now!
Appreciate 0