06-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #9
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhill19 View Post
sold. what'd you go with for brand and gearing?

did brakes too, night and day
I currently have the quaife from ilikebmxbikes in the 3.46 gearing. For daily driving I do recommend the 3.08 stock gearing. The 3.46 is great for autox and track, but is overkill on the streets.

The biggest advantage of a limited slip is mechanical control. The e-diff will rarely engage because the wheels are no longer slipping excessively relatively to each other except in extreme circumstances. This puts you back in control of the throttle rather than have the engine cutting out and reducing power or having brakes applied to your inside wheel.

Out of the options out there I went quaife as there are no real wear components and I live in a no snow climate. Both quaife and torsen diffs are build around gearing and load balance between the two back wheels. (Gripping wheel can have some percentage greater grip than least grippy wheel). If you're concerned about zero grip conditions and driving on ice, then you may want to go with wavetrac or a clutch type lsd, which even in the no grip scenario provides some amount of lock on the axle and allows control of the more grippy wheel. There's a lot of info on the web on how each works. The only ones I've heard of people regretting were clutch type and it was due to wear.
Appreciate 0