View Single Post
      08-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #60
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My 128i vert is the nicest car I have owned but "best" is hard to define. Most fun? Most reliable? Lowest cost transportation?

My Fiat 124 spyder was very fun but also very unreliable. It's replacement was a Ford Festiva. Might have been an over reaction but it was completely reliable, never broke in 80K miles, and consistently got over 40 mpg. Cheapest transportation I've had. But a cheap economy car is not so much fun.

My first car was a 66 mustang. Even handicaped by a 6 cylinder, it was fun. And it was reliable. But best??

I am on my second Suzuki SUV. I gave my first to my son after driving it 9 years and doing no repairs (just gas, tires, brakes (once), and changing transmission and rear end fluid). My son got 3 more years out of it and replaced a water pump - I don't know if it even needed it. My second is a 2006 and a much better vehicle. It has been completely reliable. I will keep it to avoid too many back-and-forth-to-work miles on my 128 and because I need it to put the boat in the water. The first SUV was too underpowered to be "best". The second is a canidate but it has shims burried under a complex two length intake system and a oil filter in a nasty location so I don't think it can be "best".

There were also several company cars but they were just family sedans. OK but not "best".

Too early to be sure but so far I would say my 128i is "best" but after less than a month I can't say that for sure. If it doesn't have any nasty traits, it will definitely be my "best".

Jim