View Single Post
      10-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Misterious Ding on my Quarter Panel. What to do? PDR or Repaint?

Attached is an image.

http://www.fototime.com/869CBC4A4DBDB72/standard.jpg

I marked the area of the Ding with a black circle & a dot.

Not sure how it happened. But it doesn't look like a door ding...more like a rock that was kicked up and dented the panel BUT without any scuffing or scratching. No scratch & no paint chip. .

I took it to my PDR guy who has worked with me for the past 2 years on my cars...and he couldn't access it. Upon inspection and attempting, He stated that because it's a convertible that the car is double walled down in there low on the Quarter Panel that there is nothing he can do.

I accepted this and moved on...however I've noticed that I can't stop looking for it or at it everytime I'm near my car. LOL It pisses me off because my car is pristine. I can't just leave it.

I thought about "Glue pulling" treating it as hail damage...after I left the PDR guy. But he didn't mention that. He always uses the tools.. no glue from what I've observed. I'm not sure if that would work...but it's extra small in size...about the size of a B.B. Pellet.

He asked me if I minded him Drilling the inside of the fender (behind the wheel well linings, etc) I said NO. Thought about it even days later but NO, can't do that.

I've thought about Having my BMW dealership remove the interior panels and such to allow access for PDR...and then having them re-install the panels after repair... BUT what if the "double walled" area on the low Quarter Panel is non accessible from there even with the interior taken upart

The last option here & possibly the best is painting. Since the ding is Micro-sized (really is small) I'm thinking the body work would be a small area...and the blend job would be a small area. Not sure of the clear coating needed for the area...but my paint guy is a pro who works for the BMW dealership's body ship. He's already airbrushed my stone chips and repainted/blended my lip of my front spoiler that was scuffed badly. Paint match for the hard to match Blue Water Metallic was spot on. He's repaired a VO 1M coupe that was abused and dented. Looked As-New when repaired. SO I'm confident in his work. He also restored my brother's brilliant red 91 318is in a ground up restoration job. The guy is a top notch pro in everyway.

Insight and advice is Welcomed. That's why I'm posting this thread
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)
Appreciate 0