View Single Post
      07-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #16
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_135i View Post
Apparently I was hallucinating, or more accurately, got mixed up as to which sets of light were on and which were off. The outer lights (Xenon beams) go on no problem, it's the inner (cornering) lights that don't. At a stand still pointed straight ahead and without turning the wheel, when I turn the headlights on in any light switch position the inner cornering lights remain off. When I turn the headlamps on and then turn the wheel, the inner lights will go on and turn in the direction of the wheel. When I return the wheel to straight ahead the cornering lights turn back to straight ahead and go off. Is that the way they're supposed to work? On only when turning? Seems weird to me if so. I mean, I know they're for cornering, but why not have them on when going straight ahead as well? Always turning on and off while you're driving would seem a little distracting not to mention hard on the bulbs. Or do I have a service issue?
Yes, what you describe is exactly how it is supposed to work. Keep in mind that these Cornering Lights are angled very sharply, something like at a 45 degree angle (I totally made that number up) so it is for low speed driving around corners, like in a parking lot or going around a pole/building. It is only used to illuminate the area immediately in the direction of your steering. If it remained on all the time, you could potentially blind oncoming traffic.

Plus, it won't look as good since it will completely wash out BMW's signature inner Angel Eye. When the Cornering Lights are on, it turns the entire inner bulb into one huge blob of light instead of a distinct ring.
Appreciate 0