02-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #153
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
What's your wheel and tire set up? It almost sounds like the extra bit of camber is causing the tire to rub either a suspension component or the inner wheel well.
Do you think this means I could run slightly more aggressive offsets if I wanted to? The scrubbing isn't bad but it's definitely there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Incorrect...the "M3" arm has an integrated attachment point, the 135i stock arm does not and there for doesn't require the nut. The 135i rod snaps in place at the ball joint...the "M3" rod has ball joints with a protruding bolt for attachment. Not a biggie.

I had the exact same problem on my front right wheel and am also running 8.5 ET45's in front. My wheels were balanced with a combination of tape and clamp weights. The clamp weight was hitting the strut...had it removed and rebalanced...problem solved. Clearance is very close though...probably 3mm or so.

BMW86...what was your alignment adjusted to? I feel a huge difference but also requested my alignment to be adjusted to -1.5 camber in the front and rear...which is exactly what I got. I've only run it around town thus far but I use every opportunity I get to rail a corner (2nd gear @ about 4K)...the car definitely dives in to the corners and tracks better from a front end perspective. The rear feels like it dances a bit but actually hooks up pretty well. Still need to do rear bushings and shocks/struts, but it was a pretty big improvement and I don't get much if any understeer...or I haven't pushed it far enough yet. Still progressively increasing my aggressiveness with it.

Oh, and by the way..about the factory seconds debate. Another variable that hasn't been discussed yet...production efficiency. There are only a limited number of M3s produced...if you're a manufacturer and you spend the time to set your line for a particular product...does it make more sense build and sell 5000 units, or 10,000 units? If BMW didn't sign a rock solid exclusivity agreement....I'm building 10,000 if there is demand...simple economics.
I'll check my alignment sheet and post the results soon. I'm taking the car back in later this week to get it checked out again. The steering wheel is slightly off-centre to the left. The guy mentioned it when I collected my car and said I could bring it back any time if I wasn't satisfied. I want to take it back so it's perfect. From memory the fronts are dialled in at -1.5, or as close as he could get to that. The car hooks corners easily, but my setup was already very good before getting these bits installed. Also, my car steering wheel seems to vibrate going above 110km/hr (68mph). It's not bad, just seem to notice it's there. The workshop says this may be because the wheels need balancing and they are unable to test it due to it occurring at high speeds. Could possibly be due to my Performance rotors having hair-line cracks in them, pads are new though.
Appreciate 0