Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
truth be known......I also own a 2006 Cayenne S and oddly enough it can carry as much speed though a corner as the 1er...Hands down the best grand touring vehicle I have ever driven (strike that the loaner Panamera 4S was better). A definite keeper even if the maintenance approaches E60 M5 range. It carries 5 Pax plus luggage down the autobahn at 90-110 up and down hills & does not break a sweat.

@ Bob its going to retire to the SA area in November 2013

But I still prefer the 1er because ripping off a good heel toe cant be beat.
No doubt the current crop of high-end "performance SUV's" are technically very impressive. And I've seen a few of them in my neighborhood and don't doubt that they are faster than my 128i. But I wouldn't consider them to be common and, strangely, they always seem to be driven very conservatively. My point is only that, despite the plethora of high-performance vehicles in the marketplace, the average vehicle on the road performs less well than the 128i, by a wide margin. And even among the higher performing vehicles, many don't offer the more bare-bones, visceral experience that one can get in a 128i (at a fraction of the cost, I might add).

Anyway, enjoy the retirement in San Antonio. It's a nice town (I'm in Alamo Heights, if you know it). I'll be long gone by the time you get here - moving to San Diego for a year at the end of this year, and after that, who knows?