View Single Post
      06-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
PHANTOM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M, X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I would run an aftermarket midpipe and call it a day, that is what I am planning on doing, and it is a very easy install (bolts right in place of the old one). But it really depends on how loud you want it. The stock muffler isn't all that restrictive, and aftermarket mufflers are fairly expensive ~$2000.

There are a few options when it comes to midpipes. The cheapest route is to buy an N55 midpipe (BMW factory part on the N55 135) that deletes the secondary cats located in the midpipe in the N54 engine while retaining the resonator. This is a ~$360 part shipped from getbmwparts.com. It will give a slight amount of volume. If you want more, you can just have a muffler shop hack off the resonator, maybe add a smaller one its up to you.

Another option is the maddad midpipe, it has been very popular among 1M folks. It is a very quality aftermarket item that has two smaller resonators in place of the factory cats. It will be louder than the N55 pipe, but it is a little more expensive ~$750 from hpashop.com I believe.

If you want really loud then go with the eisenman straight through midpipe and their rear exhaust that has no muffler. A few guys on here that run that setup. I don't think I could handle the volume on a daily basis, but some can.
Thanks for the help. How about the Berk midpipe? Or perhaps the eisenman straight pipe with stock mufflers?
Appreciate 0