bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlyne_mr2 View Post
Owned e30 318is, e36 m3, e90 335xi, built Porsche and other turbo engines. Anyways, Im not sure how me owning previous BMWs would help me to sympathize with someone complaining about exhaust noise. "Drones" can come from exhaust noise bouncing on certain road surfaces and even driving styles. It's hard to prevent these kinds of noises on performance exhaust systems. My buddies Carrera GT drones like mad but he goes out and enjoys the car, he doesn't post a poll complaining.
I don't think the majority of the 1M owners object to the 1M's exhaust note and would probably prefer it to be louder. Drone it absolutley different and can be annoying.

Stock BMW exhausts are not known to drone including M's (rasp is not drone). There are plenty of stock performance exhausts on high-end luxury sport cars that have been engineered not to drone. A Carrera GT is not a luxury sports car. Is droning hard to prevent? I'm not for certain, but I do know it can be prevented with little or no impact to performance.

I haven't heard the 1M's drone (hopefully, never will), but I find it odd that some 1M's have it and some don't. If it is not occuring is all 1M's then I doubt it is a designed feature and hence the purpose of this thread.
Appreciate 0