x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
50PSI??? YIKES!!!

Your risk of blowout and damaging your rims if you hit a pot hole is greatly increased.

You should drop it as soon as possible to maufacturer recommendations. I find however that 36psi all round works well.

50psi is the pressure they use whilst transporting the car and whilst in storage.

I think most tyres have max pressure rating of 51psi (the 40psi max you are reading has to do with the max pressure the tyre shop is allowed to put in it whilst mounting the trye).

I am getting about 12l/100 at the moment but do drive on occasion with a lead foot. Economy will definately improve the more you have run in your car, I started seeing it around 6000km onwards.

But definately change those pressures soon as the longer you leave it the higher the risk of ruining your tyres, as like all things elastic they have ''memory''. So if you leave it a long time and reduce pressure in say 6 months then it may be too late, as warm you may be approaching 58psi at which point its past or approaching its elasticity and together with sidewall flexing etc even if you reduce pressure at a later stage it will be too late, the tyre will be a hazard.
Appreciate 0