Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
Any particular reason you went with the eurobox over an aftermarket style intake? Just curious!
A few reasons.
- Recent e90 converted 325i showed only tourqe gains with Closed box Afe which retails for as much as new Eurobox
- Looked at various dynos of 130i on babybmw.net with expensive Simota and oem setups
- Looked at GruppeM and similar(bimmian autocarbon & ebay replica) dynos of e90's with the LET tune from waaayback 2010's. These are found under IvanX and his 330i and his freind. The oxes showed some of the nighest n52 dynos ive seen from the US
- Looked at open intakes ( Afe semi open, Ingen) and the Maf issues with the Afe version, and drone noise possibility from both

Decided the following
- I didnt want to spend over 300 for a closed box set up
- Didnt want to cut my OEM, not even the charcoal( probably a personal preference)
- Used USA OEM air boxes cost close to 300 on car-part.com, prices when up for some reason - maybe its demand from e90post
- Didnt care about carbon, it costs too much
- Wanted a way to access a filter easily especially if I was to clean it often
- After seeing gains of both HP & Tq with Simota/GruppeM, I wanted the option of having a semi open intake in the style of GruppeM or Simota. To cut up the Afe closed box would be expensive waste
- EvoGlynn of 130i fame cut up a eurobox to look like Simota and had it on dyno with total gains after a tune. It looked good considering he had Ron95 gas and his numbers looked close to 130i's on the same dyno with probably different gas( evolve tuned cars)
- for a max of $20 more I can replace the hose from the air box to the throttle body with a smooth silicone that would mimic Afe
- $40 more gets me scoops that are in the GruppeM package
- Can convert to BMP European intake if I find a really good deal on it

So went with the used Eurobox. Looking at the non oiled filter because I want to clean it with out buying recharge kits.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 01-24-2013 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0