Thread: Manual E90 help
View Single Post
      05-21-2005, 04:49 AM   #25
itsmerd
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D E90 and E92

Here it's pretty much the same, most people learn and do drive manual transm. cars. Don't be afraid of it, it's only a matter of learn by doing. Once you developped the feeling for it it will become a second nature (like riding bicycle). A few tips that might help you. Always listen to the engine (revs, sounds, power development), make sure that before you enter a corner you are ready with both braking and changing gears (most city curves should be taken in 2nd -sometimes 3rd- gear). The gearbox is fully synchronised so as long as you use the clutch properly it will not be a problem to change gears during breaking/full stop of the car. I advise once you become to a stop to put the gear back in first, this allows you to always react and drive away when necessary. I'm sure that once you get used to the stick you never want to go back to auto. It enables you a more sporty driving and you feel more in control of the car and lucky you, BMW still makes the best manual gearboxes in the world!! I wouldn't want an auto in this car!
Appreciate 0