View Single Post
      09-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
M3Armand
Private
Rep
Drives:

Exclamation 2010 BMW 135i vs 2004 Porsche 911 C4S for $40k?

Ok folks, here's the dilemma... For roughly the same amount of money, I can order a brand spankin' new 2010 BMW 135i with the exact options I want or I can find a "pre-loved" 2004 Porsche 911 C4S.

I am posting this here since BMW forums members typically do not have that "Porsche ego" as Porsche forum members do. When I posted something similar to a Porsche forum, it was like "sacrilege" to even "think" that anything can be better than a Porsche... I'm like paaalleeeaaasseeee, "get over it" I tell those guys. They couldn't even admit that the lowly 135 was faster. Well, it is in both stats AND seat-of-the-pants feel.

So please vote on this survey!

But before you answer, here are some other qualifications. This will be one of a few cars me and my wife have (we both love cars). We currently have a Porsche so there isn't a "need to own a Porsche" stigma. Since selling my E36M3 1 year ago, I just haven't had the time to buy a replacement car (lousy excuse, I know). I miss it terribly. Whichever car I get will be my personal "daily driver". I will drive either car in the winter but with no snow or wet conditions. We drive other cars in the snow or wet.

With the $40k price point, it seems that the Porsches are on a "fire sale" at the moment. I'm sure the economy has helped with that.

Here are my pros and cons of each car:

135 = new
911 C4S = about 20k - 30k miles, but otherwise in pretty darn good condition

Availability = I can order the 135 now and get it in about 3 months. I have to "keep looking" for a used 911 C4S and hope to find one that I like.

Handling = 911 wins. The rear-biased AWD will even let me perform like Schumacher on the track. The car just feels planted at any speed.

Fun factor = 135 wins. The 135 feels more tossable believe it or not. The steering is not as heavy so it feels like you can "chuck" it into a corner more easily. But it doesn't "stay" in the corner nearly as nice as the 911. I can peel out in the 135 and have fun being a grown-up "hooligan" much more so with the 135. You can't really peel out much with AWD. What would be really nice is a wide body 911 with rear wheel drive only.

Acceleration = 135 wins, especially if on a "rolling start" or the 50 - 70 mph romp. 135 will destroy 911 with the JB3.

Brakes = interestingly, the brakes feel better on the 135. I'm not saying it stops better. I'm saying it "feels" better. But it's not really important to me as both cars' brakes are fine.

Looks = no contest, the C4S with the "wide body" looks seriously sexy and has that "timeless" 911 look. The 135...looks like a fat Chevy Aveo with big wheels. I like the way the 135 looks, but I'm not "in love" with it. My wife calls it the "bubble car".

Value = 135 will depreciate tremendously while the 911 will not have that much further depreciation to go. In 4 or 5 years, I am assuming that the 911 will be worth more than the 135.

Practicality = 135 wins. What I loved about my previous daily driver the E36 M3 was that it was still practical. I can still have 4 people in the car with some luggage. Although the 135 is a little smaller than the E36, it's still MUCH bigger interior-wise than the 911. The 911 is really a 2 people car with their luggage. I can fit a baby seat in the back of the 135. This is not possible with the 911. But as my child(ren) grow a little, they will be able to sit perfectly fine in the back of the 911.

Stereo = 135 wins. You are probably wondering, "why the hell is this even a factor?" It's a factor since if I'm spending the most time alone in the car, it will be my sanctuary. With kids, I can no longer BLAST my music at home. So the only real place for me to truly enjoy my music would be while in the car.

Tracktime = dunno. I feel that the 911 will handle beautifully. BUT, I see the 135 as blowing by it - especially since I will most likely get the JB3 + oil cooler + etc. once the warranty runs out. I've heard of the 135's cooking brakes and needing a suspension job since the current setup seriously understeers. The 911 is perfect out of the gate but with less power....and MUCH less power if the 135 had the JB3.

Cachet = 911 wins. With my line of work, it would be more "business acceptable" for people to see me in a 911 than to see me in the 135. This is because not everyone understands the performance capability of the 135.

Warranty/Repairs = 135 is new so there's no contest there. I can typically work on my own cars. But with the 911, the engine is not exactly easily accessible. Even after the warranty expires on the 135, I am confident I'll be able to fix most items when it breaks. I'm not sure how hard/easy it would be to even change spark plugs in the 911.

Have I missed anything else? KINDLY provide your thoughts so that I may be able to decide.
2008 BMW X5 4.8i, Black Sapphire / Saddle Brown

Last edited by M3Armand; 09-29-2009 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Added categories
Appreciate 0