View Single Post
      05-20-2007, 08:50 AM   #22
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett8210 View Post
"the 1-er has its own set of customer base...much different than the typical buyer for a "3"."

I agree, but unfortunately, most people that would appreciate the differences in weight and general performance are limited to the hard core fans. I personally don't what a three sedan. But the typical buyer when faced with a choice of the same engine transmission decision will opt for the bigger car. (for a host of reasons)

Additionally, the 3-series in the US is not only a sports sedan, but a status symbol. The 1-er will not have that catche at the beginning. Therefore, greater differentiation and potential "value" considerations become significant.

I want the 1-series with the greatest performance potential, but the typical buyer will be looking for a "reason" not to get the status symbol and opt for, what they will consider initially, a lesser vehicle. Doesn't make them right, just makes them customers.
You make some interesting points...I can definitely see potential customers
taking both the "1" and "3" out for test drives to compare the two models.
Yes, the "1" might get some people just because of bottom line finances.

But I don't think for a second anyone is going to think of the 1-er as a lesser car. Certainly not the people who work at the dealerships. This car is as much or more anticipated than any BMW in my experience by the people who sell and service the vehicles. The marque certainly gets some people who shop for status, but some of the most rabid knowledgeable BMW owners I've run across are guys driving the "7".

If you look at customer profiles brand-by-brand, people who value status as a prime consideration for the purchase of a specific manufacturer; they usually buy Mercedes- this is a fact that appears in survey after survey. Probably the one most often cited, because parts of it were available to the public, was a deep survey by the German research firm Ajax. Their conclusions virtually changed BMW's perceived motto of "Ein Sausage, Drei Stucke"..
one sausage, 3 sizes...
to a total makeover of the brand by re-emphasizing its sporty aesthetic, increasing the model line-up and ushering in the Chris Bangle years.

Getting price points zeroed in on target are what's going to really affect the mass popularity of the car. In no way is it going to be perceived as a cut-rate BMW. I just don't buy into the perception that the typical 1-er buyer won't be well informed about weight (translation- fuel economy) and sporty characteristics. Those attributes and price will combine to make something very special to a broad informed clientele.

Appreciate 0