View Single Post
      01-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #21
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
I really don't understand what I am/or have been avoiding. Also, there is no "gear reading". It would have to be calculated from RPM and vehicle speed captured in a snap shot at the moment when a code is triggered. So one would effectively be solving a 3 variable equation with only 1 known value. Hardly conclusive at the Puma level. If this is truly a concern for anyone, it's easy enough just to either not go above the factory speed limit or disable the speed delimiting feature in the user adjustable menu.

Shiv
I'm sorry but call me an ignorant skeptic.

I have a difficult time imagining that if the engine throws a code or limp mode, that something as fundamental as what gear you are in at the time is not recorded.

Some of us drive the steptronic AT and we know for a fact that we cannot accidently choose a gear that would cause the engine to over-rev. That tells me that the DME is monitoring what gear you are in at all times and whether a chosen dowshift is plausible or not. If it's not plausible it won't let you.

But please, can you provide the evidence that your knowledge of fasta data recording is based upon when you state that only rpm and mph is recorded?

Are you really that fully informed about how BMW stores those codes and the sets of associated raw data.

It's kind of like the X-files...."I want to believe" what you say so why not show it in black and white?
Appreciate 0