01-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #21
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 LCI 530D Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
It's in the manual and, yes, the recommended figure is 1.5k miles, but that doesn't mean you should immediately drop two gears and floor it at 1501 miles!
There's been a good deal of discussion about this and there are two schools of thought - 1. don't bother and 2. take it easy. My age and engineering background tell me that there's no harm in following the latter and, with my 535d, I gradually started to build up the RPM after about 2k miles and didn't really start to boot it until I'd covered well over 3k miles. I now have a sublimely smooth engine and, more importantly, one that hasn't burnt any oil since new.
As well as keeping the RPM below the stated limit, it's important that you should vary the revs and not overload the engine, but that's unlikely to happen with the 8 speed auto.
Enjoy the car.
I guess as the car has now covered just over 8k miles the break in procedure doesn't really apply any more. All I can do is just hope that whoever drove the car brand new followed the break in procedure.
Appreciate 0