Thread: Nice Suprise!
View Single Post
      04-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #23
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Sorry to rant on about this, but 4wd's are a really "sore point" with me - for 2 reasons. 1) They engender bad driving habits in their drivers, which makes them over-confident and careless, and 2) they're downright dangerous to other road users.

Ever been sitting at an intersection, trying to turn left, and a 4wd pulls up on your right, wanting to turn right. You have to sit there until they go - unless you want to stick your nose out, which isn't a great idea. And they just dont' give a damn that they're in the way.

But more importantly, they are dangerous! They handle like crap, so the occupants are at risk - at least they're involved by choice. But other road users, and pedestrians are also at risk - and again, the 4wd owners don't give a damn. Their vehicles can't pull up as quick as a car, they are too wide for the lanes on normal roads, and they inevitable have some kind of "bar" at the front or back.

Front bull bars are positioned perfectly to hit a school age child in the head. Where are the damn ADR's on these things - we can't get a freakin' sports exhaust, but folks can put these "weapons" on the front of their trucks.

Can you imagine how you'd go if you went to the RTA (or state equivemant) and said - "I'd like to fix this 6' piece of railway track to the front of my car, about 3' off the ground. Is that OK? You can just imagine the response..... How about a 6' piece of 2" galvanised fencing post? No! Well how about a lump of extruded aluminium, that's fixed to the chassis rails.

Oh! That's too dangerous? Then I'll have to go to my Toyota dealer and get a bull bar for my Tarago/ landcruiser/ Rav4

See my point..........Sheer hypocracy.

Perhaps if we could fit a BMW Performance Exhaust to the front of our cars, then it would get ADR approval.
Appreciate 0