Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallard View Post
Any insight? Travelling @ 100km/h with DTC light on in light snow conditions along a perfectly straight section of highway without accelerating or braking when car suddenly swerved sharply to the right (from the front - no slip / fishtailing from the rear). Able to quickly correct before the car entered the next lane over. Didn't hit anything but it was as if the front right brake came on for a moment then all was okay. Any ideas what happened? The shop checked: brake calipher okay; suspension okay; no pulling to either side; tire pressure ok; no mechanical damage visible under the car, in the wheel wells or on the tires; balancing and alignment fine. There may have been some black ice on the road (but am thinking this would have caused the rear of the car to swerve, not the front), no potholes. Cars traveling ahead of me didn't swerve. I swerved at least 30-45cm before being able to correct. All happened in less than 2 seconds.
Just a question, did you have your cruise control on by any chance? This same thing happened to me one day when I was driving on the highway. I had my cruise control on, and I am aware that you should not drive with cruise control on when the roads are wet or snowy, but the roads appeared to be okay. It had just rained after being hot for a while, so I assume there was some oil on the road that got wet. Anyways, I'm traveling on a straight section when all the sudden the car sort of jerks to the left. The car automatically turned off the cruise control and the traction light blipped on the display. The car didn't go crazy out of control, it just sort of did its thing to keep me out of trouble. So maybe that happened? If not, I would also agree with the hydroplainning or change in road surface (ie dry/wet to slushy).
Appreciate 0