Thread: Oil issues
View Single Post
      02-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Went out to mulholland drive "the snake" and cruised in initially with the dct 135i. Hit the rest area where ppl park, stopped to chat a little bit then went for a hard run down and back uphill. I went as hard as i can not knowing the turns exactly. Hard as in tail happy and a backfire(?!). I was pleasantly surprised at the backfire as the car is bone stock except tires. Then i let the car cool down and the oil warning too low came up. I freaked out so left after the car was completely cooled down and pretty much neutralled it the way back to the gas station whenever it was downhill. Bought a quart of oil. Quadruple checked the oil level (needs a damn dipstick) and it went back to fine. But was startled so didnt go back. The car was parked on a slope when cooling down and the subsequent oil level warning. Double checked again at home. Read numerous posts on these forums about getting that warning when parked on a slope. This is ridiculous. I freaked out because my evo ix went kaboom because it ate oil so fast and one lazy day turned into failure (but got into a bmw and sold the shell for 9k).

In general, how much oil do these cars eat? Anyone who tracks their car heavily, can you chime in? Im scheduled to go in a couple weeks and now will have an oil change and check fluids before i go out.

Dont know if it said max before and is now reading halfway between max and min. I may not have waited long enough for the oil to settle and will check in the morning again to see if it reads full. Manual says do not add any oil unless it goes to min and tells you to do so. Hence ill just have it redone.

Btw the car was super fast and handled pretty well for severe sloping hairpin turn after hairpin turn (for those whove driven the snake). All i did was add michelin pss. A dude asked for a ride and when we got back he said his legs were shaking and he needed to sit down. Lol. Another dude showed up after my runs going balls to the walls in his ek civic. This was at 11pm and pitch black. That guy mustve had some pretty damn good brakes. Kind of sad that we couldnt go together to see if he was going fast or was just loud. Backfires in the canyons sound awesome lol.

It was a pretty safe night to go all out. Its usually filled with cars and i drive hard never crossing the line. There were 2 cars when i got there and another 3 showed up before i left.

Did this as a test before i take it to the track and glad i did so i know what to possibly look out for.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0