View Single Post
      04-19-2021, 01:11 PM   #21
gtsdrs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d

I think I have another simple solution. This will only work if everything else is OK - flap, spring, cable - and the end of the cable with the plastic piece attaching to the mechanism is broken.

I used an aluminum electrical (crimp style) to secure the end. First, you will need to remove the plastic from the eyelet (most come with plastic on the crimp connection).

Then, slightly open the crimp so that you can slide the cable into the eyelet. On the car side, remove the plastic around the end of the cable - I used side cutter. The end of the cable will just have a puck. DO NOT cut the cable, only remove the remaining plastic from the connector.

Now, slide the cable into the electrical eyelet, and crimp around the 'puck' at the end of the cable.

The eyelet now slips onto the mechanism and you're done!

BTW - In the 4th installed photo - the crimped connection looks a little gnarly. That's because I decided to solder two connectors together (making a double thick eyelet). This requires soldering/skills, and I don't think it's necessary. It almost appears that the eyelet isn't crimped around the cable, but that's because the outside eyelet isn't. Rest assured, the inner of the two wrapped around cable end puck really well.
Attached Images

Last edited by gtsdrs; 04-19-2021 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0