View Single Post
      01-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

128 to 135 front bumper (w/ euro fogs).

The title says it all, here is a quick write up. All was ordered from Dan at United who ways very up front about the fact that, unlike the rear bumper kit, this is not an approved BMW kit, rather an assortment of pieces. I crossed my fingers and went to work.

Starting at the top, lift up the rubber seals trip across the top of the grill and remove the 4 hex screws. There are 3 fasteners inside the wheel wells, just crank your wheel over and you can get in there no problem. Undo all fasteners across the botton edge of the bumper under the car. At this point the bumper should come off but hangs up at the leading edge near the headlight assembly. Slide something underneath to push down the small locking tabs and it will come out. The closeup of the bumper corner shows all mounting points and locking tabs. Grills easily transfer to the new bumper.

The fog light assemblies bolt to the backside of the bumper and the lights snap in place with the addition of the mounting screws. The bulbs simply twist out of the old 128 lights and twist into the new fogs - simple! A quick light test before the whole bumper snaps back in. I show a pic with the assemblies and lights in place.

Reassembly is easy but I ran into a problem at the bottom of the car. The center 3 mounting holes under the bumper no longer line up with anything on the car. The new bumper must be a slightly different shape. Also I was not able to figure out how to mount the 2 pressure seals shown in the pic. Perhaps the 2 things are related. I would appreciate any help if you know the answer.

Overall I am very pleased. The front bumper design of the 128 leaves something to be desired and this fixes it nicely.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0