View Single Post
      01-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
clausy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Any comments or ideas? Ive never even driven a VW DSG...

Thanks!
I just got out of a GTi with DSG. Originally I wanted a stick but after one driveI was really impressed. It really is faster than a stick if you floor it. It shifts up like silk. Amazing.

After about 10 minutes of owning it you start to hate it. Don't get me wrong, in traffic it's great so if you commute a lot in traffic then get one. As soon as you're on your own on open roads you'll hate it. It's never quite in the right gear: D would shift up too early, sport would go to redline and there's no 'sporty' inbetween. Powering out of corners it would gulp for air because it was never ready to shift down: it would be in 3rd with 4 selected, when you wanted 2, so you get air while it pops down from 4 to 2 on the one clutch.

I couldn't wait to get rid of it. If you like to drive, then don't get one. If you want to drag race then fine. It's also notchy on the way down under braking: it shifts down, does nice rev matching but still manages to be bumpy, so no smooth decel. That also used to get to me.

I never ever put it in neutral at the lights: thats just garbage.

Hope that helps. I'm much happier with a stick. I think DSG is a step up from slushbox: faster, more economical but it won't replace a real clutch for me at least.
Appreciate 0