View Single Post
      09-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #15
fritZman
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
... My only question is whether a mechanical diff is a realistic upgrade or whether the E-diff software will get confused/blow up if you install one.
Agreed the 135i will very likely not see a diff option.

As long as there is a e-diff/traction/skid disable button, I see no reason why a mechanical diff wouldn't be beneficial.

In fact, because most traction/skid software is reactive in nature (especially in lower end models), having an aftermarket diff to enhance the mechanical effectiveness will only delay, and not hurt, the potential onset of electronic interference. That's the biggest difference I noticed on my 350Z running an aftermarket diff with the traction/skid control on.

A problem could arise if the e-diff/traction/skid software runs a proactive/prediction model based on inputs from throttle/steering and possibly lateral acceleration meters. In that case it's possible the e-diff would cause premature braking to one of the drive wheels even though mechanical grip is still available thanks to the superior performance of an aftermarket diff. In that scenario, the e-diff would negate the aftermarket's LSD benefit altogether.

So I guess the answer is to find out how sophisitcated the 1-series software is, and if a disable button is provided. Either way, I doubt it would actually hurt the vehilce.
Appreciate 0