10-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Squeaky Armrest Fix

Hi folks,

Like a lot of others, at ~9k mi., I was getting the annoying squeaky armrest. I have seen where others have taken the car back to the dealer and had it replaced, but to me that's pointless because unless BMW have come out with a revised part, you'll get the same thing in another 10k miles, and I don't need the aggravation of dealing with the dealer repeatedly.

When I opened the armrest up and examined it, I noticed that the two halves of it were rubbing against each other toward the rear; I could see marks where they'd been scuffing against each other.

I had a sheet of heavy duty black rubber about 1.5 mm thick, so I cut 5 sections about .5 x 1 cm and glued them to the armrest to prevent the rubbing. I gave it a test today over my 40 mi. drive to and from work and didn't hear a peep out of it. And yes, I know I need to get in there with the adhesive remover and knock off the excess trim adhesive for a nice job, but just thought it worth posting. Here's a pic and hope it helps:

ianc
Attached Images

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0