View Single Post
      05-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #46
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
Yep. Stock boost should be around 7psi, but i have read norms of 6-8psi. Prior to new software update when i would go WOT it would overshoot boost to levels as high as 9psi and since the software updgrade I have not experienced that and have noticed a lag of boost...this is why I love having a boost gauge. When it feels sluggish, i look at my boost gauge and confirm how the engine is running.
I'm wondering if you and I may have a marginal HPFP, and the software simply decreases the boost and thus demand for fuel, resulting in lower overall power and lag.
This could be why BMW initiated a software "fix" for potential HPFP problems.
The tech who worked on my car said he wanted to replace my pump, as the ECU had fuel pressure fault codes, which in his opinion indicates that the pump is going and should be replaced. BMW would not authorize it.
He also says that he has seen various fuel pressure from different cars, meaning some are within a certain acceptable spec. So it's possible that some cars are not able to produce full power due to a pump not able to produce or sustain the needed pressure for full boost.
The guy that is posting positive results may have great performance due to having a fully functioning pump that is supplying full fuel pressure, translating to better performance.

I wonder if there are 2 different versions of software; one for "fixing" potential HPFP issues, and one for a new fully functioning HPFP.
Appreciate 0