View Single Post
      08-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #62
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial View Post
only for the USD 128i. the 135i's come with a new shift arm in addition to the shift lever. you have to jack it up to replace it, there's just no way around it.
Yes apologies your are right, the 135i has an additional parts...

Just fitted mine, on my 130i, all from above and it took about an hour, most of which was trying to work out how to remove the white collar to gain access to the circlip!

The secret was in the technique of holding the 2 screw drivers as per the E90 thread "How to"

I also had to be very careful removing the circlip as it could easily drop (luckily there is a spare one in kit) for which I used some long nose pliers.
The easiest bit was removing the gear knob. I just put it in 2nd and pulled upwards and the gear knob, leather trim and plastic trim that connects it all came off! I think I was suppose to remove the leather trim from the plastic one first! ops:

I'm totally a novice when it comes to DIY stuff on the car and I was impressed how easy it was to do thanks to the excellent write ups and pics from BabyBMW and also E90 Forum.

Went for a quick drive and the travel is obviously shorter and it snicks into gear quite nicely so I'm very pleased!