01-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #32
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Are these cameras always manned? It looks like some of them are just sitting there unattended. If so, what stops people from trashing them?

Maybe it's just the cultural differences. Over here I don't think they'd last too long if the cops weren't watching them every second...

ianc
Yes, the Polizei stay inside of those vans or cars near the Blitzer. In Germany no one has guns(well some do but they must keep them locked up!), so there is only so much damage you can do with spray paint can!

It is also against the law here to warn other drivers of a Blitzer. So often times... there will be an unmarked Polizei down the street from a mobil Blitzer. IF they see you flashing your lights to warn other drivers. They will give YOU a ticket as well.

One of these camera car Blitzer's can cost upwards of ~100K euros. So they do not leave them alone. Most are owned by the city - and they change the car's tags dailey. But they always uses the same set of three or four tags.

Also... you have some "free-lance" Blitzer's. Private people who have gone thru a school - on the mobil Blitzer's. They setup in an area - and give the local Polizei the speeding data. Then the local cops collect the fines. I think its very lucrative for these indi Blitzer guys. I heard its like 80% for them vs 20% for the city in the fines they send out via the Post.

The red light cameras are just empty boxes that hold a camera. When cars go thru a red light (thats very rare over here!, and can cost as much as 400 euros) the empty box will still flash. I know in the city where I live... we have five red light cameras. But the Polizei only have ONE camera. So everyday they move the camera from box to box - location.
Appreciate 0