View Single Post
      10-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
Sunglasses Ron
Registered
Rep
Drives: CW Golf GTI Edition 30

Newbie Alert!!! Need to pick your brains guys please...

Afternoon chaps, newbie here and was hoping to get some advise from you all.
Currently drive a moddified Mk5 Golf GTI Edition 30 DSG which is due for change next March/April and i'm looking at going the 135i route (coupe).
My little dilema at the min is which one to go for, N54 or N55? I know they now have revised the engine (N55) and it is now a single turbo unit unlike the old twin turbo (N54). Do you know how the unit responds to modding/software etc compared with the old one? Have the likes of DMS/Evolve etc cracked the ECU on the new one yet, as I know BMW are becoming more and more crafty with the new ECUs (my old man's new 4.0d X5 for instance is becoming a pain in the ass, but DMS are about there).
I will more than likely be getting a 6 month old (ex demo/used), low mileage example (save a few quid) and i'm very keen on going down the DCT route which I believe is only available with the N55 car (hence all the questions about the new engine)?
I'm budgeting for around the 30-32k mark and would want a white car with xenons and DCT, with things like telematics etc. Found this the other day and dribbled for about 20 mins at it....

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2066404.htm

I want to try and keep the modding down to hopefully just software/map, but if my current car is anything to go by, I may end up on the slippery slope once again no doubt.. What is generally the next stage on from just the ecu map? Is it done in stages like they do with VAG cars?
Stage 1 - Map
Stage 2 - Turbo back exhaust + Map
Stage 2+/3 - HPFP, Intake, FMIC + Map
etc etc
Or is it a bit different with you guys?
I also like to do a bit of 1/4 mile sprinting (in road trim) and wanted to also know what sort of times each stage of tuning is capable of? I have seen quite a few Youtube vids of the 135's and know they can run seriously quick times when on slicks and Meth etc, but won't be going that mad So just wondered what times you mapped/chipped guys are running?

Sorry for all the questions and I have done some searches already, but I thought I would say hi and ask a few questions at the same time..

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Appreciate 0