07-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra's M View Post
Yes! When I search for M1 this is the car that keeps coming up. The bumpers are clearly different than my 135i and the turn signal by the door is also different. Can you buy the M1 in the states? Would I be wrong by calling my 135i with the M sport package an M1? I went into the BMW dealership when I first got my car and I made the mistake of calling it an M1. The guy at the counter said," THAT is not an M1, you wouldn't have been able to afford an M1." Makes me want one....
Only 740 1M's were sold in the states. They were all sold as 2011 model year models, while 135i's produced at the same BMW factory were labeled 2012 M.Y. cars. Some think this was done for EPA regulations - there has been much speculation about BMW's reasoning as to "why". BMW has produced around 7K 1M's for the world. We are still waiting to hear the official production number. Some say the car went out of production last month at Leipig Werk AG, but... we are still waiting for official confirmation.

Yes, the original car BMW made in the late 70's and early 80's was called a 1M. That is why BMW did not want to call the M version of the 135i an M1. BMW said they want this 1M name/label to remain special. That original 1M was a collaboration between BMW and Lambo, but BMW soon found out that the Italians could not deliver what they promised... and BMW took over the complete production of the 1M. At the time BMW had a hard time selling these 1M's so they went racing with them in the first "spec racer" before each F1 race. Now these old race cars are in high demand. Over one million dollar price tags are not unheard of!

Btw... here are some pics of the race versions of the 1M. They were taken at BMW secret msueum aka BMW Classic in Munchen. The last three pics of the orange car(the paint fades to brown/black) is of the Turbo Concept, the predecessor to the 1M!

Name:  IMG_6194.jpg
Views: 52553
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6197.jpg
Views: 52304
Size:  120.3 KB

Name:  60bmwclassics.jpg
Views: 54103
Size:  327.2 KB

Name:  06bmwclassics1.jpg
Views: 52689
Size:  118.8 KB