View Single Post
      08-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

You know, when I bought my second e36 S54 M Roadster, I heard the same warnings about the e85 roadster. Guess what? I still have the car and it surely turns more heads than the more-advanced and more-optioned offspring. The S54 was a parts-bin exercise as well. With Stone Age rear suspension, body-flex exceeding a gymnast, and warnings about everything from engine fires to differential hard-point failures, the consensus was that I was about to walk into a depreciation nightmare.

Fast-forward a few years...

The next iteration of the M Roadster has grown in size and refinement. To my eye, and as a driver, I just can't bring myself to buy this model even after numerous test drives.

My personal approach to buying cars is a synthesis of exclusivity, uniqueness, and most importantly, the visceral kick in the pants that it absolutely, positively must provide when I look at it or put my right foot forward doing the asphalt hokey-pokey.

I'm sure the M2 will be brilliant. I'm sure that BMW will market it quite well, using the 1M's halo effect. I'm sure they build loads of them. I'm sure it will be bigger and more refined. I'm sure that I will consider buying one.

I'm also sure that history will repeat itself with the 1M just like with my M Roadster--that when put side-by-side with its progeny, there will unanimous agreement that this car...this is the one that started it all...this is the one I want.
Appreciate 0