View Single Post
      08-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #50
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I use "TrueDelta" for car reliability information (I do not like Consumer Reports for car info). They report trips to the dealer per year per 100 vehicles. For the normally aspirated 3 series cars, BMW is very low, like less than 20. So only one in five vehicles, on average, goes to the dealer for any reason in a given year. That is where the Hondas (good years), and Acuras are and better than most Toyotas (even before the recent group of issues). For the turbo 6 cylinders, the number is about double. This is a fairly average score for all vehicles in the TrueDelta database. But it means that you might expect to visit the dealer close to once every other year if you buy the turbo car. Some will be worse and some better.

NA BMWs are reliable compared to other makes and types of BMWs. Turbo cars are not terrible, they are about average but that is noticably worse than the NA cars.

Jim