View Single Post
      07-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #11
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

I remember asking the same thing a while back. Mike and a BMW transmission rebuilder both recommended the MTL, while redline recommended the D4 ATF.

The only reason I chose not to take this advice this time around was based on my own experience with both fluids in my last car. It's entirely possible that the ATF did more to improve a worn transmission than the MTL, and that the MTL could certainly be a better choice in a transmission that shifts perfectly already.

If you do go for the MTL, I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on it in the 128i, especially when cold.

For the socket, the 8mm one in the photo was from a drain plug kit at harbor freight. It came in a blue plastic molded box, about 10" x 4" x 2" and included around 5 hex bit sockets and 5 square bit sockets for various different drain plugs. it's 3/8" drive.

The set of regular hex bit sockets they sell came on a small metal rail, and included the 14mm for the diff drain plug. I think the 8mm in that set may be too long, if you need to use a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter like I did to fit on the breaker bar.
Appreciate 0