View Single Post
      08-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #30
DSCPLN
BMW 1M
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren 600LT

Just again for personal reference:

Since receiving feedback on this thread a while back, I have been attending autocross and high-performance driving events with a 265/35-19 and 285/35-19 staggered setup on Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I have added Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers to my suspension, already equipped with Vorshlag camber plates.

While reading around the boards and talking with drivers, I encountered many recommending an 18" square setup (most predominantly 275/35-18 on APEX ARC-8's or EC-7's, which have a 2lb weight difference between the two with the EC-7's weighing slightly heavier) to counter oversteer issues on stock suspension and allowing for tire rotation. Going down to APEX 18" wheels also removes about -4lbs of weight per wheel against the stock BMW 1M's style 359 wheels.

Conclusion: I think either staggered or square setup can work depending on how much camber is dialed in on the front and rears of the car, or if you're ok stock vs an upgraded suspension.

For my purposes, 265/285 vs 275x4 doesn't seem like much of a difference.

While still currently running staggered: I've countered understeer by dialing the front at -3.0 camber and 0 toe, and also countered snap oversteer scenarios with the rears set to -2.2 camber.

The car feels incredible well-balanced right now.

I've been contemplating the recommended 18" square setup, but at this time I don't think it's necessary to mess with the car's balance but instead maybe get better tires which will provide overall better grip of the road, i.e.: Bridgestone RE71s.

Last edited by DSCPLN; 08-05-2016 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
ayao646.00