View Single Post
      04-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #17
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Well Im happy to say that I installed the G/C camber plates last night..

i must say that my install looks exactly like the pic in post # 6.. No cutting / trimming removal of any thing to make it fit at all.. To tell you the truth, i didnt even have the 2 bushings that the OP has a picture of ???? the only issue i had was i was unsure of the "tightness" of the shaft Nut being that it is used to press the 2 bearing surfaces together as opposed to the oem rubber bushing squish.. a quick call to G/C and the answer was to match factory spec ( which is pretty damn tight ( LOL )

On the alignment machine -3.0 deg was easily obtainable,??? one side more than the other. I set them at -2.5deg and set the toe to "0" rear camber at -1.75 deg and stock setting of toe.

considering i thought theses were only good to -2.5 i was presently suprised.

I did replace the washers under the 3 nuts for the plate ... they supply 3 tiny washers, i just didnt like how it looked.. i went with wider washers to spread the load. I also had to shim the strut brace with a washer to clear the stud of the plate.. 1 day when i have time i will cut down all 3 studs on each side and make it look better. ( 3 hrs including the alignment install time )

driving home took a little while to get used to .. steering was a little "darty" but stable at higher speeds.. I guess i have to give the tires a chance to get comfy in there new position..

I will tell you that my 2 favorite exit / entrance ramps were still very fun.. already i see that in that simple test i can carry more speed thru the corner.

Oh and i installed a BMW Perf Exhaust while in the air... just happen to have one laying around.. ( total exh install time 15 minutes and 2 sawzall blades)

Thanks to the OP for starting the thread and giving insight to DIY situiations.. The forum can only benefit from it.