View Single Post
      04-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #31
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
My feelings go out to the 1M driver. Clearly more than just his body was hurt in the accident. And yes we don't know all the details... but I do agree with M3_Adjuster... just hit that annimal... the damage will be much less than trying a rapid lane change... where most drivers will over correct a few times and loose it on the 2nd or third "fish tail".

I use to teach HPDE at Summit Point, WV... the BSR guys would tell students that single car accidents are very common occuroance. Normally a distracted driver drops one wheel off the road(for what ever reason)... then jerks the steering wheel... and over corrects a gew times. Then by the second or third fish tail, the driver looses control and leaves the road!

The BEST thing to do is to LOOK where you want to go... NOT what you are about to HIT! Like that 70 kph speed limit sign(in this thread)! It is just like shooting a gun... you have to look at what you want to hit... IF you look at that tree or sign pole... that is what your gonna hit! So look at where you want your car to go!

BSR would do HPDE's for the DoD... what they would do is on the exit of turn ten, a high speed(70 mph or so) 90' turn leading onto a long straight away... they would lean over from the passenger seat and FORCE the student driver off the road. The instructor would only drop both left wheels off the track, leaving the other side's tires on dry pavement. Then they would sit back and watch how the "student" got back onto the track. The students that JERKED the steering wheel and fish tailed back onto the track failed thier DoD course. The ones who rode out the (off road)bumps and slowly got back onto paved surface with all four wheels - passed their DoD course.

And btw... the BSR instructors DID NOT tell the student driving thier old police package cars - about this "test". It was always a highlight of teh course for us "instructors".
Small world. I regularly instruct at Summit Point!

Neil
Appreciate 0